If you’ve found yourself in Mexico and are in need of renewing your Canadian or U.S. passport, for most straightforward circumstances, you will find that both the Canadian and U.S. Passport Renewal Services were recently streamlined. As the world begins traveling again, the Embassies caution that wait times for processing can be long. We advise you to call the Passport Service and ask about the processing time if that is a concern for your situation.
How To Renew Your Canadian Passport in Mexico
The application process for renewing your Canadian passport while in Mexico is straightforward. All of the latest information is on the https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca website. It is a streamlined process and there is no need to use a third-party company, in fact Government of Canada’s Passport Service recommends against using these companies.
Operation During Covid
As of November 2021, regular passport services are still suspended due to Covid but urgent passport services are available. You will need to call or email the Embassy if your passport is expiring, expired, lost or stolen.
Assistance to Canadians (Consular Section):
When normal service resumes, applications for regular passports must be sent to the Embassy in Mexico City:
Embassy of Canada, Consular Section, Schiller 529, Col. Polanco, 11580 Ciudad de México
You can print the application forms from the Passport Canada website here. All of the available forms for different situations are listed on the webpage. The most common forms are here below.
- Adult renewal application [PPTC 482] (PDF, 1.84 MB)
- Child passport application [PPTC 042] (PDF, 1.73 MB)
- Credit card payment authorization (outside Canada and the US) [2153E] (PDF, 98 KB)
Simplified Renewal Application Process
There is a Simplified Renewal Application Process if your passport expired on or after February 1, 2019. You may then renew your passport any time within 2 years of the expiry date. If your passport is not lost, damaged or stolen and has been issued with a 5 or 10-year validity, you were at least 16 when it was issued, has the same name, DOB and place of birth and gender identifier you want on your new passport, you may be eligible for the Simplified Renewal Process. Check this page for the full list of details.
Required Documents for the Simplified Renewal Application Process
For the Simplified Renewal Application Process, you will enclose the following documents with your application:
- a completed and signed Adult Simplified Renewal Abroad Passport Application Form for Canadians applying outside of Canada PPTC 482* (PDF 372 KB)
- your most recent passport
- two (2) recent identical photos. Rules for Canadian passport photos
- the required fee (fees and processing times are the same as for a regular passport application) Current fees and forms of payment
Check with the courier company to be sure your package arrived. The Embassy will not let you know. We suggest that you contact the Embassy at the beginning of your process and ask about processing times. The Embassy is not guaranteeing processing times at this point, but they will give you an idea.
Renewing Your U.S. Passport in Mexico
The U.S. has streamlined the passport renewal process during the latter half of 2021. If you’ve already renewed a passport in Mexico, check the process again. It has changed.
For a straightforward renewal where your passport is not lost, damaged or stolen, was previously valid for 10 years, there are no name changes, and you would like a passport book and not a card, you may be able to renew by mail. Full instructions are available here. https://mx.usembassy.gov/passports/u-s-passport-renewal-by-mail/
Steps for Renewal
- You will complete the passport form DS-82
- You must submit your most recent passport with your application along with a photocopy of the biographic page containing your photo. (You will get it back.)
- Name change documents if applicable (If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide the original certified copy of the legal name change document, plus one photocopy.)
- Provide one photograph. Requirements here.
- Pay the passport renewal fee online
Choose a Location to Mail Your Application
Choose the location below closest to you and mail your application with the above documents and return shipping envelope as indicated in the corresponding shipping instructions for each location below.
U.S. Consulate Ciudad Juarez — CDJ DHL Shipping Instructions
U.S. Consulate General Guadalajara — GDL FedEx Shipping Instructions
U.S. Embassy Mexico City — MEX – DHL shipping instructions
U.S. Consulate General Monterrey — MTR – Pakmail Shipping Instructions (1)
U.S. Consulate General Tijuana — TIJ – DHL shipping instructions
For other circumstances, you can review the full passport renewal information on the U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Mexico page here.
If your situation is different from the straightforward situations outlined above, you will want to check out the respective web pages for your particular circumstances. The Embassies and Consulates are always open for emergencies.
This page will point you to all of the passport renewal situations for Canadians:
This page will point you to all of the passport renewal situations for Americans: